Overcoming addiction is one of the hardest things you’ll have to do in your life, and the initial detox is the most challenging part. While your success depends on your commitment to making a positive change in your life, addiction experts know that detox is a particularly sensitive time, and detox facilities aim to provide everything you’ll need to break free from the physical and psychological hooks of addiction.
But if you’re looking around for a drug rehab center for your detox, what should you keep an eye out for? What’s necessary, and what are the most useful additional amenities? Here are five essential requirements for a positive detox environment.
- Medically Monitored Detoxification — The most important thing for detox facilities is having access to appropriate medical care. The physical process of detox is always uncomfortable, but for some substances — particularly alcohol and sedatives like benzodiazepines — it can be dangerous. Having medical supervision is essential to getting clean safely, and you should only choose a rehab facility that offers it.
- Counseling and Addiction Treatment — Although detox facilities help you take a crucial step by ensuring you get the substances out of your system, going through detox doesn’t mean you’ve beaten your addiction. Fundamentally, addiction is a psychological issue, and if you don’t address the underlying reasons you became addicted, relapse is likely. Detox facilities that don’t offer psychological drug and alcohol rehab programs aren’t suitable stand-alone choices for treatment.
- Recreational Activities — Getting clean and addressing deep-seated psychological issues are both vital to addiction recovery, but they aren’t the only important things. Recreational activities — from games to expressive, artistic activities — can make the detox experience considerably more fulfilling, as well as giving you the chance to have fun and express your emotions.
- Opportunities to Exercise — Exercise is an often-overlooked but very valuable addition to detox facilities. Having something as simple as a swimming pool or a basketball court can encourage you to get out and exercise. And studies show that exercise is as good for the mind as it is the body.
- Comfortable Rooms — The value of comfort during detox cannot be overstated. The unpleasant withdrawal symptoms you go through when you’re getting clean are the hardest thing to endure, and it’s only more difficult in an uncomfortable setting. Amenity-rich detox facilities might not seem necessary, but paying a little more for creature comforts can help you cope with the challenging process of getting clean.
Take Time to Find a Good Detox Facility
There are many factors to consider when you’re looking for a detox facility, but the five points listed above cover the most crucial aspects, ranging from the essential (medical monitoring and counseling) to the still-invaluable extras (like recreation, comfort and exercise). If you’re looking at detox facilities, the best advice is to make your choice on the basis of what will give you or your loved one the best chance of getting clean.
“Understanding Drug Abuse and Addiction: What Science Says – 8: Medical detoxification” – National Institute on Drug Abuse
“Exercise treatment for drug abuse–a Danish pilot study” by KK Roessler
“Exercise and Physical Activity in the Therapy of Substance Use Disorders” by Elisabeth Zschucke, Andreas Heinz and Andreas Ströhle